How timely! Prevention.com recently came out with their Best Packaged Food Awards. In case you missed my last few articles, we talked about the level of sodium in packaged foods and restaurant foods and the connection between sodium and cancer. I also highlighted how to shop for healthy foods.
In order to create their list, Prevention gets recommendations from food writers and Registered Dietitians. They then choose products that are tested for flavor and ranked for quality.
Each winner must be trans
fat-free, lower in sodium and sugar than their competitors, and full of nutrients. Here are the winners on their list (I highly recommend you read the full article on this blog: Nutrition Unplugged):
- Best Cereal: Ambrosial Venetian Vineyard Granola
- Best Oatmeal: Country Choice Organic Instant Oatmeal With Flax
- Best Yogurt: Chobani Lemon 0% Greek Yogurt
- Best Cheese: Sargento Sliced Reduced Sodium Pepper Jack Cheese
- Best Wrap: Tumaro’s New York Deli-Style Wraps in Pumpernickel
- Best Pasta: Annie Chun’s Pad Thai Brown Rice Noodles
- Best Deli Meat: Applegate Farms Organic Roasted Turkey Breast
- Best Meat: Coleman Natural’s Chicken Meatballs Spinach, Fontina Cheese, and Roasted Garlic
- Best Fish: Wild Planet Canned Wild Albacore Tuna
- Best Vegetarian Entrée: Amy’s Light and Lean Black Bean and Cheese Enchilada
- Best Soup: Trader Joe’s Organic Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup Low-Sodium
- Best Kid-Friendly Dish: Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Littles
- Best Chips: Laurel Hill Multigrain Chips
- Best Nuts: Planters Jalapeño Pistachios
- Best Bar: KIND Bars Pomegranate Blueberry Pistachios
- Best Juice: Apple & Eve Fruitables Tropical Orange Juice
- Best Milk: Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Best Tea: Numi Tea NUMI Monkey King Jasmine Green Tea (certified organic)
- Best Nut Butter: Barney Butter Almond Butter Snack Packs
- Best Marinara: Lucini Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce
- Best Ice Cream: Talenti Argentine Dulce De Leche Gelato
I’d love to know if you’ve tried any of these! I have had the Numi Jasmine Green Tea. It’s my favorite!!
Also, in case you’re interested, yesterday (March 9th) was RD (Registered Dietitian) Day!! You can check out this post which has links for lots of other RD articles on the internet!