I wanted to share a few articles I noticed this week that I thought you might be interested in. If you don’t already follow the my facebook page and Twitter Feeds (@CancerDietitian), you should! I share pertinent information regarding evidence based nutrition and cancer information as well as simple and health promoting recipes. Plus, I love to hear comments and thoughts from readers, colleagues and especially my inspiration – those living through and beyond a cancer diagnosis!
Here’s a highlight of some of the things in discussion:
- From Today’s Dietitian: Nutrition and Breast Cancer
- From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Coconut Water: Is It What It’s Cracked Up To Be?
- Environmental Working Group: Good Food on a Tight Budget
Back to School News:
- Student Rewards That Aren’t Junk Food!
- Drinking Milk Not Linked to Early Puberty, Study Says [for more on this topic, see my articles on the topic: Choose your Milk Part I: Hormones, Antibiotics and Pasteurization and Choose Your Milk Part II: Pasteurization, Organic Milk and “Raw” Milk]
Meal Ideas and Recipes:
- From the Eating Well Blog: 5 Tasty Budget Meals for Less Than $3 per Serving
- From 100 Days of Real Food: Real Food From a Man’s Perspective
- From PreventionRD.com: Pesto Chicken Roll-ups
Easy Recipe From The Cancer Dietitian Kitchen: Pesto Potato Salad!
This is my invention for lunch today. I had cooked the potatoes and the corn from our Farm Box earlier this week. They were in the fridge as I looked in trying to find something for lunch. Tomato sandwich was my first thought, but I think my husband took the bread to work. I saw the potatoes and corn sitting there waiting to be eaten, remembered the recipe from PreventionRD for the pesto chicken roll-ups and thought, “Hey – why not a pesto potato salad?”
It was so easy! I was going to use plain greek yogurt, but it was sour! So I used mayo. Mixed it with some pesto while I microwaved the corn and potatoes. Once they were warm, I mixed them together. Next step? EAT! It was really quite good. I wish I had remembered to take a picture. All I have now is an empty bowl and a full belly. : )
Try it for yourself this weekend!