Yellow & Orange Food Recipe:
Apple, Avocado and Walnut Salad Recipe
recipe looks great, easy to make and tasty. I like pretty much anything
with avocado in it! The recipe is from Conner Middelmann-Whitney,
author of Zest for Life: The Mediterranean Anti-Cancer Diet.
There’s good information and
great Mediterranean recipes!
FYI – I altered it to what I used, based on my pantry and fridge. You’ll see the notes!
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 1 apple, cored and cubed
- 1 rib celery, cubed (Used shredded carrots instead. Gave the salad the ORANGE color!!)
- 1 T dried cranberries
- 1 T walnuts, chopped
- 2 T chopped parsley
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T walnut oil (I don't typically have this in the pantry, so if I used extra olive oil!)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 t honey (Conner suggests acacia honey - I just used what I had!)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small serving bowl, combine apples, celery and avocados and sprinkle with parsley, cranberries and walnuts.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk oils, lemon juice and honey
- Pour dressing over fruits and vegetables, toss lightly and serve immediately.
I knew I wanted to highlight apples, I asked Conner if she had a
cooking video for Apples. She kindly recorded this video of her recipe!
She even adds some tips on ways to make the recipe extra special for
guests. You could probably use baby spring mix for lettuce if you don’t
have the kinds that she mentions. Although, I have grown arugula in my
yard. It grows quite easily around here!