This is another super easy and quick recipe with a protein boost over traditional tomato soup! Chef Malena said she created it when at a friends house who didn’t have anything to eat for dinner.
It’s pretty simple, you take tofu and broth, puree them together and mix with tomato sauce, or tomato puree, or crushed tomatoes,. Then just heat it up and add some spices. Tofu adds great protein that traditional tomato soup doesn’t offer you so this can be a meal, if needed. Or, have it with a cheese sandwich.
Malena even suggested you could use spaghetti sauce as the tomato base, if you wanted. She also said that if you wanted to prep this ahead of time, you can just mix the pureed tofu/broth with the tomato sauce and spices and keep in the fridge or freezer until it was time to heat it up and eat. So easy!!
We had participants in our class who said they didn’t like tofu or tomato soup, and they loved this recipe!
- 1-14 oz package of tofu (any texture will do for this recipe)
- 1-28 oz can crushed tomato
- 1-14 oz can vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning Blend (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional- red chili flakes
- Puree tofu with vegetable broth. Add tofu puree and crushed tomatoes to saucepan. Heat thoroughly and season to taste.