I am pretty excited to have an intern this next few weeks. Part of the reason I’m especially grateful is that I am about to go out on maternity leave with my 2nd child. Intern Caralee is going to do some fun things in the office and for the blog while I’m out, which I’m super happy about!
This week is what we’re calling my “bonus week” because I’m overdue with the baby and so I had the privilege to enjoy her Wellness Wednesday recipe sample. It’s so yummy! And my kind of recipe, since it only requires 5 ingredients, much of which you probably already have at home.
Here’s Caralee’s description of the recipe, which she makes for her husband and his “sweet tooth”! Try it out and let me know what you think!
Scrumptious Berry Pie
This pie recipe is simple, delicious and packed with antioxidants and fiber! A mixture of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries is listed. However, the recipe can be used for single berry pies or different variations of fruit as well.
This is a great recipe for a 4th of July cookout as it displays bright blue and red hues. For an added touch, use a cookie cutter to cut a few stars out of a pie shell. Bake the stars on a cookie sheet and add them to the top of the pie before serving. This is a guaranteed crowd pleaser – and healthy to boot!
- 1 Pie shell (store bought or homemade)
- 2 16 oz bags of frozen mixed berries
- ⅓ Cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ Cup water
- Bake pie shell, allow to cool and set aside.
- Add 1 bag of frozen berries to a pot and cook over medium heat.
- As berries soften, mash them with the back of a fork.
- Add sugar to smashed berries and allow to boil, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, blend cornstarch with water.
- Slowly add cornstarch mixture to the fruit mixture, stirring as you add the cornstarch until the fruit mixture is thick.
- Add 2nd bag of fruit to the mixture (do not mash), stir and dump the fruit mixture into the baked pie shell, spreading evenly. Allow to set for 1-2 hours.