Apparently my last article The ‘Good Enough’ Strategy for Eating Healthy, struck a nerve for people. I had multiple responses of people who liked it. I’m happy to be the one to bring good news about taking the pressure off of dinner time!
As promised, here are some other “Good Enough” meal ideas for you. First though, you should check out this great cookbook Lickety Split Meals for Health Conscious People On The Go. I do not get kickbacks or anything. I actually use this cookbook and have seen Zonya speak. This cookbook is just about the only one I use! Here are some sample recipes from the book.
The thing that the book provides that ties into this topic is the various sections. She has one-minute meals, five-minute meals, fifteen-minute meals, 30 minute meals, etc. It’s sooo practical and gives great tips and suggestions!
Remember… a meal is as simple as 4 snacks put together.
Meal = Grain + Veggie + Protein + Fruit. Here’s a printable list of healthy snacks that I put together a long time ago. It’s still good!
- ‘Good Enough’ salad – lettuce with oil and vinegar. You can serve with tuna salad, crackers and an apple.
- Tuna salad wrap – tuna salad wrapped up in a leafy green. Serve with crackers and grapes (try them frozen!). A twist on the above! See picture.
- Another twist on the wrap is to take a leaf, put hummus on it and fill with whatever grain you have. Could be leftovers from this recipe in your wrap: Veggie Inspired Quinoa.
- Beans and rice, topped with peanuts.
- Trail mix and veggies.
- Frozen pizza with extra vegetables added. Serve with fruit and ‘good enough’ salad!
- Pita with hummus and fresh veggies in it. Buy them all pre-made/pre-cut and you have a meal in one simple trip to the grocery store!
- Microwave quesadilla with cheese and black beans. Serve heated frozen veggies on the side.
- Cottage cheese on tomato slices with cracked pepper on top. Serve with mashed banana on toast.
- Popcorn, low sodium v8, yogurt with fruit and granola.
‘Good Enough’ Grocery List
Based on the meal ideas above, here is what I would make sure that you have in your house/fridge in order to put together a last minute ‘Good Enough’ meal or snack!
- tuna (or chicken) – ‘good enough’ says that you can mix with mayo and call it done. Or get fancier and check out this recipe for tuna salad.
- canned black beans
- baby carrots
- peppers (pre-cut or cut them yourself over the weekend)
- frozen veggies
- lettuce (either spring mix, or whole head)
- fresh fruit (we always have bananas, apples and grapes)
- frozen fruit
- rice or quinoa
- cottage cheese
- dried fruit
- trail mix (or make your own with the nuts and dried fruit you bought)
- low sodium v8
I think that’s enough ideas for now. I’m getting hungry!