- Yield: 4 –6 servings 1x
For the Filling:
- 6 medium (about 2 ½ lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin)
- 1 lemon- juiced and zested
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (or more to taste)
For the Topping
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter (cubed)
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Optional- 1 cup chopped nuts (such as walnut or pecan)
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- Combine topping ingredients in food processor and pulse until ingredients are blended and resemble a cornmeal consistency. Alternatively, cut butter into flour and mix in brown sugar, oats, and salt until well incorporated. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In separate bowl, combine ingredients for filling and toss until well incorporated. Spread into the bottom of a 9 inch pie dish or 8 inch square baking pan. Evenly distribute topping and optional nuts over filling.
- Bake at 375º F for 40 minutes. Increase heat to 400º F and bake for about another five minutes until golden brown. Serve Warm.