This is a very tasty “one dish” meal recipe developed by Chef Malena. My 5 year old loved it too!Print
Spinach Dal Recipe from Chef Malena
Delicious one pot meal. Vegetarian/vegan if you want!
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
- 3 Tbsp. high heat oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 jalapeños (cored and diced)
- 2 inches fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup yellow split peas (soaked in water*)
- 3 and 1/2 cups water
- 10 ounces spinach leaves (roughly chopped)
- fresh cilantro for topping
- In a large pot, heat oil. Add the diced onion, jalapeños, fresh ginger, and garlic along with the curry powder and salt then stir together. Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and continue to cook over medium-high heat until they start to break down, for about 10 minutes. Mash them with the back of a spoon until they are macerated.
- Stir in the presoaked split peas with 3 and 1/2 cups water then bring to a boil. Reduce to a low boil and allow to cook until the peas are soft enough to mash, for about 30 minutes. This may take longer depending on how old the peas are. Add more hot water as needed until they are thoroughly cooked. Use a spoon or a whisk to mash the peas.
- Add the spinach to the pot and cook until it starts to wilt, for about 5 minutes. Serve warm with brown basmati rice, and fresh cilantro then enjoy!