I apologize up front for not finishing part two before the end of October! I feel slightly guilty about providing Breast Cancer information during Lung Cancer Awareness Month, but I’m sure that you don’t mind! I will focus on Lung Cancer during my next post.
In my last post (Breast Cancer Prevention Diet) I promised the practical tips on what you can do every day to reduce your risk for breast cancer. I got these from the University of California at San Francisco’s Cancer Center. They have a really great publication summarizing the research on breast cancer and food, you can find it here: http://cancer.ucsf.edu/_docs/crc/nutrition_breast.pdf
12 Things To Do EVERY DAY to reduce risk for breast cancer:
1. Eat 8 to 10 colorful fruit and vegetable servings daily
- Two to three pieces of fruit
- One cup or more of vegetables with lunch and dinner
- 8 fl oz vegetable juice
2. Consume 30 to 45 grams of fiber daily
- You will likely meet your fiber goal if you eat 8 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables plus one serving of beans/legumes or at least two servings of whole grains daily.
3. Avoid processed and refined grains/flours/sugars
4. Keep WHITE off your plate: bread, pasta, rice, cream sauces, cakes, and more.
5. Limit meats and whole milk dairy products
6. Include healthy fats like cold-water fish, flaxseed, walnuts, soybeans, olive oil, Avocados
7. Eat 2 Tbsp ground flax daily
8. Limit alcohol consumption
9. Drink 1 to 4 cups of green tea daily
10. Maintain serum 25 (OH)-vitamin D levels above 35 ng/mL
11. Drink plenty of fluids, water or non-caffeinated beverages, daily to help meet fluid needs
12. Engage in daily physical activity to help achieve and maintain a healthy weight
And, by popular demand comes a very simple AND tasty recipe for you to try! I’m not sure what to call this recipe… do you have any suggestions? Please share!
Garbanzo Bean & Green Pepper Salad
Garbanzo Bean and Bell Pepper Salad
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 medium green or yellow, or red pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional: poblano or jalapeno pepper - if you like some spice!
- Rinse garbanzo beans
- Dice pepper
- Mince garlic
- Mix all together with vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and allow to marinate in fridge for at least 1 hour. Overnight is even better!
That’s it!! And really, there are endless possibilities for how you can personalize this one.