This is a fun way to spruce up a starchy side dish for the holidays.
In our class, Chef Don from The Stocked Pot put onions, celery and carrots in the saute. Feel free to add whatever veggies you want!
If using brown rice, your cooking time will go up. It depends on the rice, but probably somewhere around 40 minutes.
Holiday Rice Pilaf Recipe
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 /2 cup dried cranberries and/or raisins
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped nuts, toasted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 sprigs parsley, chopped
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions; sauté 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in rice and sauté an additional 4 minutes, add the chicken broth, seasonings and dried fruit, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 18 minutes (for white rice, longer for brown).
- Fluff the rice and place in a serving bowl, decorate the top with chopped parsley